Screw Thigh Gap


"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels ~ Kate Moss

Bullshit
EVERYTHING tastes better than this feels. 



this is called 

THIGH GAP...
it's a "thing"
You can read all about it here..



I have several friends who are built with, as they call them... 
Chicken legs. 
Chicken legs beget Thigh Gap. 

Some girls try very hard to force their thighs to gap...

My family, on the other hand is known for what we call... 
Thunder Thighs. 
which do not allow for gaps, in said thighs...


1988
As a child I wanted to move all of the things in my room around a lot. My parents got sick of helping me so I quickly realized that my legs (namely thighs) were powerful. I would sit against a wall or another piece of heavy furniture and push the other furniture to my desired destination - without needing the help of my parents, or brother. 

Thighs for the win. 
Age 6





1991
I met a girl who was the NATIONAL PEDAL PULL CHAMPION. 
Talk about strong legs. She lived in our small town!!!
I tried not to stare every time we would play together. But I was so intrigued and impressed with how a girl younger than me could do that! Here I thought pushing furniture around my room was impressive. 

Lisa "Engel" Kies -
Thighs for the national win!
Age 8 




1998
As a freshman in high school I went out for the swim team. I'll never forget having a required informational meeting with our coach who outlined very specifically that we needed to EAT. Was that even an issue I thought?
He even specified a certain number of calories. I remember looking around the room wondering if anyone else had any clue how many "calories" were in ANYTHING?
I didn't. 

It became apparent from the rest of his meeting that girls routinely went out for the swim team to get a good workout and then would also not eat very much to try and lose weight. Weight many of them didn't have to lose in the first place. It was my first introduction to the world of body image, eating disorders, and just being a female I guess. 

Having been to quite a few workouts over the summer and getting my a$$ kicked, falling asleep at the dinner table and being STARVED... I couldn't imagine how anyone could even function if they were on the swim team and didn't eat???? 

Also... swim team. Required attire - swim suit. 
Everyday.
Things started to make sense. All this talk of anorexia and bulimia that we had heard about actually became something real and tangible for me. 

Although I still didn't really care.
Remember... I was the kid fueling afternoon practice with whatever they put in the squares on my school lunch tray. I would have gladly taken seconds!


But I do remember being more self conscious. It's a thing in high school.
Self-Consciousness
Clearly this picture represents that. 
Trying to cover my legs. 
And when I looked closely I was very critical of my Thunder Thigh heritage. 



2000
After swimming Varsity for 4 years, and cross training, and running track, 
 I was happy to have my picture on a pin.
(likely the only time in my life)
 LOL
I qualified (as an alternate) for State. 

Thighs for the win.
Age 18.





2001-2005
College. 
I was so sick of swimming 
(being wet and smelling like chlorine everyday). 
I focused on running. Even threw in a triathlon one weekend on a whim and a borrowed bike.
(free workout- poor college kid)

This probably lengthened my thigh muscles more than ever. I was logging a lot of miles. Also a little stress motivated me to run more long cathartic runs. I was logging 7-10 miles a day. 
I ran my first half marathon. In under 2 hours. 
Completed my first triathlon.

Age 20's
Thighs for the Win.
(still no gap)



2009
Kate Moss made her famous "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" quote. 
I'm surprised her fellow "Hangry" models didn't punch her in the face. 
I've been hungry for 32 days and if I had any extra energy I would have. 


2012


A very cool thing happened.
There was a shift. I got to witness it first hand, and wear it all over my clothes. Muddy Buddy was this awesome obstacle course type of race you did with your buddy... and got very muddy :)
The motto for the series,
  the year I got to announce... 

"Strong is the new Skinny"

Your buddy better have strong thighs if you want to win
Any age



I've been fortunate enough to see the fittest athletes in the world, and those who may not look like the fittest but have the fittest DRIVE....
I've seen them winning the Ironman World Championships and I've seen them barely finishing before midnight... at 80 years old

Lew Hollander - Age group winner - Ironman World Championships

 I've been so lucky to spend time with Meb Keflezighi who has won a
-Silver medal at the 2004 Olympics,
and... who finished
-33rd at the Olympics.
He puked, he stumbled and slipped on the finish line,
and still finished with flair and grace as he "push-upped"and smiled his way across that finish line to make sure his kids knew you always try your best.

Unbelievable Meb Interview post 33rd place - get tissues.


Most of my adult life I've been at the start and finish lines of the Rock 'n' Roll Marathons and Half Marathons. Runners have broken records that go down in history.
 But most of the tears I've shed and the hugs I've given and received have been well after the awards ceremony. These are people who don't give a damn about thigh gap, they give a damn about having fun. 

There's the Tour de France, uphill Rando races, Xterra races, you  name it. 
And I've seen how hard they work,
 how carefully they fuel their bodies and how much they ALL ENJOY food. 
It's all in moderation my friends.
Without any thought of "thigh gap" I might add...




2018
32 days of an all liquid diet. 
32 days dreaming/ being depressed about not eating real food.
32 days of zero working out. 
32 days of lethargy. (see above)
32 days of appreciating culinary masters who craft delicious food.
32 days of wishing I could eat. 

Have I mentioned I'm hungry?



So here's a would you rather. 
Would you rather...
have your jaw wired shut for a month,
be depressed,
 tired,
irritable
and "get" thigh gap...

or

Enjoy great food in moderation,
be able to walk or run in the fresh air without pain or feeling like you'll pass out,
 keep your strong thighs that can move furniture
 and run
and swim...and bike... again... maybe :)

I know the answer. 
I've thought about it for 33 days... 
and I will continue to think about it for another 4. 


I'll tell you FOR CERTAIN in a few days what tastes better than skinny feels...

EVERYTHING


32 days I've been thinking about you beautiful biscuit with honey and butter. 
Throw in some Fried Chicken legs, wings, even...Thighs...
For the win!

Thigh Gap, be gone. 
Strength be with me. 






Comments

  1. Can we make this required reading for everyone? I have struggled with body issues my whole life (still do and I've got a few years on you). I know that I will never be the skinny one, or the most muscular, or the most athletic, or any of those things. However, I am gradually learning to accept me for who I am and to make small changes. How I look does not reflect how I feel. And I do get a lot of satisfaction telling people that in 2017, I ran 5 5km races and 6 half-marathons...not even mentioning the miles put in during training. I will always struggle with being leaner but I am learning that I will never meet societal goals.

    Stay strong and enjoy your first non-liquid meal when you get it...no matter what it is. Looking forward to seeing you in November. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts