Surprise! We BOTH made it...

Happy Valentines Day!





 We survived the first trimester with our jaw wired shut, 
all liquids 
no pain meds
no puking
My new little heartbeat is still beating. 

My final weigh in was less than I hoped... but his was right on track.
And that's all that really matters. 

In some ways I wonder if I should have known... 
Tried his first stunt on a mountain bike while in utero. 
Probably ENJOYED an all protein shake diet for 35 days like his father. 
Continued eating like a champ
Better get used to all of this I suppose.



The day of the accident THIS is what threw me the most. 
I had just taken a pregnancy test but not been to the OBGYN. I was only about 8 weeks the day of the  crash. 

My ear was bleeding yes, my front two teeth felt loose (one broken), my chin was gushing blood, but  all I could think about was... how did I hit the ground?
Did I hit my stomach?
Did my stomach hit the handlebars?

I was reliving and trying to feel if anything could have hurt the baby. 
I was terrified. 

Thankfully I was informed very quickly in the ER that at such an early stage of the pregnancy they are very well protected. Short of shattering my pelvis, it should be ok. 
But then I learned my jaw was broken and the only way to fix it is to immobilize it, and the only way to immobilize it is to wire it SHUT. 

How the hell was I going to FEED this child to make sure we made it to today? I guess that's when you buckle down and make it happen. I threw up the night after the accident, before I got wired shut. It haunted me. 

The first trimester is historically the WORST. Not only do you not feel great but food is often a very tricky situation (mainly food AVERSIONS) which would only complicate this situation.
I had to find food that didn't make me want to vomit, and yet gave me enough nutritional value to fuel myself and the other human who very much needed the nutrients... more than me. 

Most of the time I would make a shake with things that were "ok"... and try to chug it as fast,
 as is possible through a straw, 
at room temperature 
(because my teeth were broken and sensitive)
and hope it would go down and stay down. 


There were many times I took a ginger ale to the dark cold basement and mentally talked myself out of puking. 

It worked. Scissors were still sealed this morning at the doctors office. 

And as of today... 14 weeks pregnant. 



So... now that I have that off my chest. 
Here's a few highlights from 

Opening Day



Took the surgery team some Chick-fil-A breakfast sandwiches. 
Thought we should kick off on a high note. 



The screws came out 
(2 more implant screws went in.. but that's still -2)

And my two front teeth with the almost non-existent roots that were bound to get knocked out someday were pulled. 




Ate some very overcooked noodles in small bites. 
Savored the inside of a biscuit. 2 biscuits. 

And then... A sweet little send off



Got two "placeholder" Teeth for about 4 months until the new screws take "root"... LOL

They're not the perfect matches I hope to receive in a few months, but they'll do for now. 
No flipper. 
Grateful: for Teeth


Some antibiotics. 
Tylenol
and more biscuits...
Need to fill up that gap in my thighs, and someone else :)

Comments

  1. Congratulations!!! I am so excited for you and baby to have made it so far. This will definitely make for an interesting story once they are older. You look gorgeous as always, enjoy the biscuits and the gap filling.
    Tara Tyler

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts